Febru-bury Delivers at Month End

A week into February, high temperature and rain were threatening our amazing snow conditions built up throughout Janu-bury. Then, we had a nice surprise snow before I left for Phoenix for a few days of cycling. I cherished those powder turns just in case they were the last good ones for the season. This year has almost been too good to be true compared to the last several ski seasons.

While in Phoenix, we went from 80's at the Visit Dallas DNA Pro Cycling Team Camp to cold rain at the Valley of the Sun Stage Race. I flew home conflicted. Having a taste of outside cycling made me hungry for more, yet the powder turns we've had all winter are extremely addicting and I needed more.

I didn't have to wait long, as the next storm blew in on President's Day, my first day home. It snowed for three days straight and Febru-bury ended with impressive numbers. We typically get a little less at our house than the Deer Valley and Park City reports.

Wasatch Snow Forecast - Inches Recorded for the last week of Febru-bury


Looking at my Training Peaks log for those three days (22nd-24th), I also had some impressive numbers. I completed 5 snow removal sessions, 2 ski sessions, 2 trainer sessions, and Pilates. The snow removal sessions last 30-60min and I'm sweaty when I finish, so that's why they get logged. Fortunately I didn't have to travel for work and could catch-up between all the workouts.

1st day of the storm - building back up after early February melt

Coming down on every lift ride!

So much SNOW!

Thursday - Filling in quickly

The sun came out on Friday afternoon!

What a week!

I had already signed up for the USA Cycling Officials Clinic on Saturday, so kept my word and told myself a rest for the legs would be a good thing. I've become more involved, especially on the Pro Women's side, volunteering to do logistics, course marshal work, announcing, and social media. I've raced in the past and plan to do a few Masters races this year as well. When I got an email announcing this year's officials clinic in SLC, I decided to add another race role to my skill set and join Team Blue. There were about 20 of us (3 women) and we spent the day learning all the different cycling disciplines and how to officiate them. We learned a lot from Cindy and now have a base when we get in many more days of experience and learning at the actual races. It was interesting to see the mix of people that came to the clinic, not all avid cyclists, but all with some passion for cycling or at least riding their motos in support of cycling.

USA Cycling Officials Clinic - learning how to roll out Junior gears in the hotel hallway

USA Cycling Officials Clinic - Time Trial practice around the hotel pool

We were back on the mountain Sunday to enjoy the week's bounty. Terry's been battling a cold for weeks and the powder turns in the sun helped. Powder helps everything - maybe we can ship some to Washington D.C.

What a Season!

We woke up Monday to another storm and more snow removal. Unfortunately, work wasn't as flexible this past week, so I couldn't sneak out for turns and had to get my workouts on the trainer. By Wednesday, the storm blew through and I could catch up on snow removal. As I type, the wind is howling and another Monday storm is on the way.

Back Deck Snow Pit


This week brought a new interaction to my life in the form of a Book Club. Three good friends invited me into their monthly meeting and it was a blast. Lots of laughs, food, wine, and book discussion. It was my first book club and I wasn't sure what to expect, but thoroughly enjoyed the conversation and friendship. We read The Improbability of Love and next up is Notorious RBG.

Yesterday, I opted for another day away from powder to enjoy 60F in SLC and attend the Real Salt Lake home opener against Toronto. It was windy but absolutely gorgeous. The team did ok and we walked away with a 0-0 draw. We are fortunate to live close to SLC to watch MLS, NCAA, and so many other great sporting events, not to mention all the elite level winter sports in Park City.

Real Salt Lake - March 4, 2017

Although the wind was intense this morning and many chairlifts were on hold for the 2nd straight day, we spent a few hours on our carvers working on speed turns. Quite different from all the powder we've been enjoying, but so fast and fun. If work allows, we'll be back on the fat skis and in the powder this week. It's also birthday week, I'm wishing for more snow and a possible March-bury.

Comments