Mayo Memories: During (Part 2)

Our first nine days in May 2018 were spent in Rochester and mostly at the Mayo Clinic. As mentioned in Part 1, we went to bed on the 1st anxious for the next week (or more) of tests. 

The Mayo is impressive. The amount of support, testing, logistics, and coordination was world class and put all other medical institutions I had been visiting to shame. The entire campus, actually the entire town of Rochester, are focused on keeping the sick and their families comfortable and supported. Every waiting area had a jigsaw puzzle, which made me smile and was quite useful to keep grounded.

Funny enough, this was the last week on their current software system with a migration planned over the weekend. Coming from the software implementation world, every conversation I had with staff included me calming their fears over the chaos that they expected on Monday. From my initial appointment until I left, I supported their concerns just as they all tried to calm by fears about my health situation. 

The first week, I bounced from building to building, specialist to specialist, and test to test. We ruled out more than we found. As I scan through my Mayo app, I can see Test Results (33), Lab Results (48), and Radiology Results (4). Diabetes Insipidus eliminated with more urine and bloodwork, Multiple Sclerosis with neurology, Cardiovascular with VO2, POTS (Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) with the tilt table, Lyme Disease with more bloodwork, and so many more. I even wore equipment back to the hotel to test during sleep.

There were a couple things that were of concern, so we extended our flights and made plans for more tests and meetings on Monday. Then we checked out of the hotel and spent the weekend with friends, still in Rochester, but away from the Mayo campus. There is nothing that makes you appreciate life and friendship more than a week spent questioning your own health and being surrounded by others going through their own health battles.

Monday's tests ruled out more, including carotid artery issues and at that point, all the specialists agreed that the life-threatening items had been ruled out. They didn't ignore my symptoms and we made plans to check back in after a few months.

In summary, the specialists sent me home with no root cause and some guidance based on all the results.
1. Eat more salt
2. Drink less water
3. Stop exercising for at least the next few weeks and then very slowly reintroduce and monitor HRV

Yes, you read those right. Not what we were expecting, but turns out, all had merit.

They recommended I continue to work with my homeopath and her treatments for EBV (Epstein-Barr Virus) and CMV (Cytomegalovirus). In addition to the viruses, structurally my long/skinny neck was an area to focus on. I needed to add Craniosacral therapy to my regimen and continue with acupuncture and massage. 

We flew back home and I got back to work on the healing process, which I'll cover in Mayo Memories: After (Part 3).

Will and Charlie Mayo
Appointment Check-In
Specialist Room

Besides puzzles, waiting rooms were great for family
and spending time

Another room
Another puzzle

Lots of smile socks

Mid-week look

Losing count of rooms
Losing count of puzzles

Yet another room
Did I mention the Puzzles?

Got out for a walk
Working and supporting

Gorgeous campus