Virus Victor

I started this blog in August 2011 as a way to share our adventures with friends and family, plus commit myself to a frequent writing practice. It worked well and I have 6 years of archive that we still refer to for memories. Then in 2017, I had health issues and it took a long time to find a root cause and then just as long to start feeling like myself. My energy levels and commitment to writing dropped off dramatically. 

Looking back, blogging about my health adventures would have been beneficial for me and others. At the time, I couldn't imagine writing about trips to the doctor, procedures, treatments, and the scariness of it all. Eventually we determined EBV (Epstein-Barr Virus) and CMV (Cytomegalovirus) were the culprits and through years of treatments, my immune system is strong and I'm back to my high energy levels. I'll write more about these past 4 years, now that I'm ready, and unfortunately the world is ready thanks to another virus called corona.

Up until a few months ago, anytime I mentioned that a virus or two had taken over my life and left us all perplexed with all the side effects, I would get looks of disbelief. Even more so, when I swore that my amazing group of healers (homeopath, craniosacral, acupuncturist, and massage therapist) brought me back, the skepticism would continue. Granted, I did a lot of work on my own and I won't stop those practices; such as my diet, meditation, yoga, journaling, and commitment to my energy first before others.

I was in London for work in January 2020, when Covid-19 made the news. I wasn't concerned then or even in early March when we flew to Vancouver for a week of skiing in Whistler. Covid was still an unknown, we were a couple weeks from worldwide shutdown and my health had been stable enough, so we didn't think twice. We were most likely exposed that week and had flu-like symptoms on our return.

We immediately went into self-isolation and have stayed that way for over a year, with occasional masked trips to the grocery store and doctor. No flights, no vacation that isn't camping, no skiing, and very few interactions beyond ourselves. It isn't worth it to go back to 2017 or worse. 

My homeopath did detect covid in my system and we've treated it with supplements. I've stayed very healthy all year with no travel or gathering. Luckily, as introverts and best friends, we are perfectly happy in our bubble. We are getting plenty of social interaction via zoom, but will need to re-enter reality soon. 

We are both scheduled to be fully vaccinated by the end of the month and although my immune system might get cranky, it is the right thing to do. I have my practices and routines to keep healthy and the benefit of seeing friends and family without worrying about myself or endangering them is going to be monumental.

Comments