Stio, Strafe, and My Mikey Infatuation

I set the alarm early Wednesday anticipating at least some snow removal before driving to Salt Lake City for a meeting. Unlike Sunday, this storm didn't fizzle as I stepped into 6" and a raging blizzard. An hour later, I put the snow blower away ignoring the additional 3" covering my hard work. I had no interest in driving to the valley after two previous nights of ugly commutes from Park City. The resort was reporting 18" overnight which meant I was also coming down with the powder flu. My mind was busy scheming ways to free up my calendar, especially with a work trip to Southern California for the rest of the week.

My colleague and I decided that he could handle the meeting and I'd be clear of other commitments by 2p, so the possibility of skiing was real! Since I gained an hour by not driving to the valley, I jumped on the trainer and did my intervals until the contractors arrived and needed direction. By the time the latest remodel decision was resolved, the plow left its mark at the entrance of our driveway, so I went out for round two of snow blowing.

The last meeting ended early, the snow was still coming down, and I was on Eagle lift at 1:45 trying to hold back my giggles in anticipation of deep and endless powder. The wind was fierce and several lifts were on wind-hold or closed for the day, yet the goods were to be found no matter where you went. I decided to stay away from the Jupiter crowds and make fast laps on Motherlode. I didn't even slow down as I skied into the maze and onto my own chair for half a dozen runs. Mikey's was my pick of the day and I just kept hitting repeat. My tracks were hard to find on each 10 minute lap thanks to the trees, wind, and storm!

I tried a few runs on Thaynes then found deeper bliss in Blue Slip Bowl before ending the day with a couple stellar runs off of McConkey's. By 4:30, I was back at the truck and could only be happier if Terry had joined me.

Jenny likes Mikey's!
Free Refills from the Bottom - 1st run on Mikey's

La NiƱa's getting a quick rest before diving back in

Happy with my decision to keep going right run after delicious run

Free Refills from the Top - last run on Mikey's

For 2 1/2 hours, I only shared a chairlift twice. I had many one-way conversations with my new buddy Mikey and one human conversation on Silverlode with Amy from Michigan. Amy is an Information Host and wears the standard Red outfit with a large "I" on the back. We talked about the storm for a bit and what I had missed all morning then transitioned to girl talk about ski outfits. She's considering Patagonia like my current outfit and wanted a review. Then we got into boutique providers Stio from Jackson (her top pick) and Strafe out of Aspen (my top pick). Some women chat about the latest shoes and purses, we focused on waterproofing, color combos, and breathability.

Speaking of women and chatting, I finished my amazing day with dinner/movie with the ladies. We had a great conversation which was enhanced with free drinks from the owner then watched La La Land. After packing, I crawled in bed incredibly happy and grateful for snow, friendships, and Mikey. Before I knew it, the alarm was waking me for my adventure to the real (and rainy) La La Land.

Venice Beach
Dinner at Cafe Gratitude - "Liberated"

Comments