Surviving San Francisco in a Sling

Little by little, my left arm is waking up from the shoulder trauma. I wore a sling all day but at night it was getting more courageous as the weekend approached. It didn't wander far, but a tad more than my mind would let it go during the day. I'm learning to wake from the pain, quickly reposition it, and go back to sleep. Unfortunately with my travel schedule this week and last, I don't have doctor appointments until the following week. Nothing I'd rather do on my birthday than get surgery assessments, but that's where I'm at. Until then, I'm wearing the sling while in large groups, then going without and using my left arm as much as possible.

Thanks to my coworkers, I survived the travel to San Francisco. I checked my luggage and had help on the BART, etc. It was a critical work week with 3 days of customer conference followed by 2 days of global meetings. Since I was struggling with sleep, I got out for early morning walks. Every trip to this city, I'm saddened by the growing population of homeless. One evening, I walked a portion of 6th street with a group of coworkers and although the Italian restaurant was amazing, I won't go back unless I'm driven to/from the door. I feel for the people on the street struggling with their issues but the ones that yell and get in your face are unpredictable and unpleasant.

Tuesday Sunrise
Wake up San Francisco 
Yerba Buena Gardens (my hotel on the right)
Friday Sunrise
After a very long week, I couldn't wait to board my flight and get home. Just as we were shuffling to the gate, my friend Jeannie came up and said hi. I did not expect to see her in Oakland, what a nice surprise! She was traveling home to Montana from LAX and we were on the same flight and the same row. I was able to trade seats so we spent the next 2hrs catching up! By the time I drove home, I was cooked. Terry and I had barely talked all week due to our California travel schedules, so we did a quick update and crashed.

Jeannie - my fake sister!
With more travel tomorrow, I caught up on laundry and sleep all weekend. I got in a few walks without the sling which went ok. I'm getting antsy and ready for a treatment plan. This weekend was also very busy for women's cycling. Domestically, the Visit Dallas DNA Pro Cycling Team was competing in California at the Chico Stage Race and Evelyn Stevens was in Boulder racing to a new UCI World Hour Record. In Europe, the women were lining up for the first big races of the season. Today's was streamed live so I was up early to cheer on our Americans. The Omloop van Nieuwsblad was won by Lizzie Armitstead and the Omloop van het Hageland by Marta Bastianelli.

Congrats to the Team and Jamie Gilgen for the Stage 4 win!

Comments