Tuesday Travel and Women's Cycling Update

My work/life balance is off kilter and it continues this week. I started Monday at 5:30a with a 2hr call to South Africa, then flew to San Francisco and worked until midnight finalizing the project which has consumed my life for the past month. Another early start this morning for my 4hr presentation, a quick lunch at Tender Greens, and then back to the airport to get home by 8p. I've got a packed day tomorrow, then I fly to Dallas on Thursday. If you've been following my blog, you know I haven't had the best luck in Texas.


SLC Airport Pay Phones - Read more on a previous Travel Tuesday
I was only outside in California briefly, for example at the BART platform both days - the weather was perfect as always.

Meanwhile, the great news for women's cycling continues and I've spent my non-working moments clicking on Giro Rosa links for results, videos, and stories from Italy.


Megan Guarnier is still in the pink jersey at the Giro Rosa after Stage 4


She's starting to get some media coverage, although it's not even close to what she or any of the women deserve. Here's a great article from sponsor SRAM about Megan's story. 



We have 3 US Women in the Top 10 at the Giro Rosa! 


Megan, Evelyn, and Mara are all in contention. This is the women's Tour de France and a huge deal, but again, very little media considering how great we are doing as a nation. We have 2 US Men in the Top 25 at the Tour de France and you have to go to 103rd to find the 3rd. At the very least, the women deserve similar coverage to the men. For example, the @USACycling twitter account finally mentioned Megan today but has mentioned Tejay for the past 4 days. This sets a tone, but that's why I'm doing what I can and so are many others. 






Pro cyclists Olivia Dill and Tayler Wiles are on the August Cover of Bicycling Magazine!


This power couple lives in Northern California when not traveling for races. I can see why they've chosen NoCal after my recent trips and incredible weather. They are fantastic women's cycling ambassadors, plus Tayler has Utah roots, so it's great to see them in the spotlight. Tayler is also racing at the Giro Rosa and while she might not be in the Top 10, she's working her butt off for her Velocio-SRAM team leader.

Comments