Not Skiing in Park City

I can count on one hand the times I've been skiing this season. The last time I rode a chairlift, it was raining in the parking lot. The last time I skate skied, I wore a baseball hat and had to avoid pockets of slush and grass.

Bad conditions aren't the only reason I haven't been partaking in Park City's #1 winter activity. Terry's back surgery recovery is on track, but he isn't allowed to ski (or ride outside) until the end of March. Although he's told me to go, there is something about skiing without him that takes the fun out of it. I'd rather ride on the trainer for a good hour or go on a recovery walk with him.
Back Surgery Recovery Milestones - 1st hour walk on uneven ground!
Another major milestone - 1st time on the trainer!

Terry's been walking so much he developed minor plantar fasciitis. He got a pair of Hokas last weekend and didn't miss a step. We've covered Main Street almost every weekend as well as all the popular rail trails that sadly have completely melted over the last few weeks. We've never spent so much time downtown and the tourist spectating has been interesting. From Sundance to Presidents' Weekend, we've seen it all.
As close as we got to Sundance 2015, other than volunteer (parent) housing
Terry's macchiato and my avocado at Publik - our new Main St hangout

Every winter we've spent together, Terry and I hit the slopes early on the weekend and typically don't get home until sometime after lunch. If the snow is good, we roll in right before dinner. This winter, we are adapting and if there is anything this warm weather is good for, it's kept Terry off the treadmill.
Weekend Walk from Willow Creek Park

I run cycling class on Saturday and last weekend, taught Sunday's as well. Depending on the turnout, I ride with my class and get to suffer thru the multirider course I chose for the week. Meanwhile, Terry goes for a walk from the studio and usually pops in to say hi. We meet back at the house, have a quick lunch, then head back out for a long walk. A couple Sundays, we parked at a trailhead so I could skate ski for an hour while he walked. Last Sunday, we parked and I went for a ride. You heard me right, a bike ride in Park City in February in shorts, jersey, and arm warmers!
I finally took a skate ski lesson this year but only got one practice in before the snow melted.

February Ride
I'm in a new kit for 2015 (in addition to Vanderkitten VIP and Velocio Project X)
We joined the Adobe Cycling Club and look forward to meeting new riders in Summit County.
I've traveled three times since Terry's surgery. A week in San Francisco in January, and a big thanks to my parents for coming to Sundance early so they could be around in case Terry needed help. Last week a lot of time in planes for a couple hour meeting in Buffalo. This week, a 24hr trip to Oklahoma City. I'm enjoying my new role and prefer the quick travel compared to 4 days in one location.
Niagara Falls (had a couple hours in Buffalo)
Niagara Falls was flowing, but the facility was closed due to winter wind chill alert


So when we aren't walking or I'm not on the trainer, teaching, or traveling; we've had so much going on that we haven't even thought about skiing.
- I started Italian 201 class in February to build on my vocab and force myself fare di piĆ¹ parlare.
- We are very close to selling the lot, after evaluating several offers.
- Julie and I implemented new software at Max Testa Training and are finalizing Training Camp details.
- I'm obviously not blogging as much, but read a stack of cycling books I bought with xmas gift cards. I've also tortured myself with two books about moving to Italy. (Playing for Pizza, Living in a  Foreign Language)

Since Terry shouldn't sit for long periods of time, we haven't eaten out since early December. Most weekend nights, we'll cook or grab takeout and hang out in the recovery bed.
Great Reads! 
Love spending my Saturday mornings at cycling class. Follow Max Testa Training (FB/Twitter) for more pics.
On Valentine's Day, Bruce and Alex wore their red and Penny stopped by for a visit!

I also organized our annual Montana Tech Alumni event at the Westminster basketball games. Always good to see the Montana crew and cheer on the teams. This was the last year for this event since Westminster is moving to a different conference. I'll miss seeing the women's team and giving them special treatment.
Pie Pizza and Silly Signs

Hopefully there are more storms in February and March, and I'll get back on the skis a few more times. If not, we aren't missing much other than not paying off our season passes. The time we've spent together walking or just hanging out in the recovery bed is the time we would have spent together on the slopes. In fact, our discussions during 1-2hr walks have been more meaningful than conversations on the chairlift between runs with others listening. 

Don't get me wrong, we are still anxiously awaiting the end of March when Terry is released and can get back to the sports he loves. My only hope is that all the cycling I've been doing will allow me to keep up with him for a few weeks until he is back at 100%.

Comments