Saturday Summer Siesta

Hopefully I can write this blog without falling asleep or zoning out completely on hummingbird activity.  It's Saturday afternoon and I'm camped out on the back porch with no other plans that can't wait until tomorrow.  Corrie and I ran more of the Mid Mountain course this morning while Terry and Christian headed out on the mountain bikes.  We did the first 7 miles then headed downhill to pick up the car.  As I type this, my friend Emily is finishing the Bighorn 100 so my measly 11 miles is nothing in comparison, but it is my longest run this year and I still have almost 3 months before I need to do 26.2. 
Trail Run Dirt (& a few blisters)
Back Porch Living
Hummingbird Season
Before that happens, we have a 130 mile road ride next Saturday in Montana!  We've been on the waiting list for RATPOD and got the call last weekend that we could attend if we could handle it.  We've had it on our wishlist for years, so hopefully the wind and weather are on our side.

Both in preparation for the ride and just because that's what we do, the last 10 days (since my last blog) have been filled with lots of riding and running.  I took Terry's 29er out again Friday night and have decided it's time to retire my mtb and start shopping for my own.  Last Saturday we went out for an "easy" 4-5hr road ride that turned into a "difficult" by the time we finally finished thanks to 20mph+ headwinds.  I've heard there were gusts nearing 50mph that same afternoon in Southern Utah, which I'm sure I felt several times when pushed off the shoulder.  My arms and abs were sorer than my legs the next day.  It was windiculous!
29er Love Affair
Empire Pass Pitstop
Midway Overlook
Since it took twice as long to do the last 15 miles, we were late for Elise's birthday party but still got to see her go crazy with her 1st cake.  We weren't too lively after being on the road for 7hrs, but everyone understood and just kept feeding us.  Always great to hang out with Joe & Kelly and their families.

On Sunday, we took care of some chores and I finally bought a 2nd composter, since the worms just can't seem to keep up with my vegan diet.  There were a couple times last week, I ate 6 pieces of fruit not to mention all the standard veggies.  So, what the worms can't handle, the new composter can.  As we left the recycling center with the new composter, a guy told us "watch out or people might think you're going green". I hope so, we're doing our best.

This week has been full of activities after work and we almost fit everything in, except bummed to miss Karen's trip back to SLC. And finally, a neighborhood wildlife update: Corrie saw the mama and baby moose early one morning this week down the street and there have been no bear sightings.  Although there is a noisy dog that needs a good scare so hopefully the bear will visit and make him speechless.

Comments