That's a Wrap

Sundance is officially over.  Wednesday's movie was such a great experience, I didn't want to push my luck and decided to take a couple days off.  On Friday evening, Rob arrived after 12hrs on the road, put on his Sundance coat (puffy, fur on the collar, long, black North Face), and we went to the brewery for some people watching.  Neither he nor Terry had the energy to waitlist for a late movie, so we ate and then stopped by the theater to see my parents in action as they scanned tickets into the computer and counted money.  Then us youngsters went home to bed, while they carried on until midnight.

On Saturday, we woke up to single digit temps.  Quite a change for Rob who had cycled in balmy (80F) Palm Desert the past week.  It was the first time all 5 of us were in the house together, so we had a chatty breakfast and then Rob left for home, my parents headed out for one last Sundance movie and Main Street stroll, and we were off to the bike shop to scope out 29er deals.

That afternoon, I combined a run with another waitlist/movie.  I had my eye on "The Other Dream Teamfor two weeks and this was my last chance.  I got in quite easily even with #44 and really enjoyed the documentary.  Unfortunately the basketball players were not at this screening, but filmmaker Marius Markevicius answered many questions from the audience.  He is going to be a national hero once the movie screens in Lithuania.
Sundance Ticket - once you get thru waitlist
As soon as the Q&A finished, I grabbed my hydration pack and headed back out on the trail to complete my run.  I was on a tight schedule, trying to get home in time to change and make it to the Jazz game for warm-ups.  We were fortunate to score last minute tickets, which was surprising for a Saturday night against the Kings.  For those that don't know, Jimmer Fredette plays for the Kings and used to play for BYU.  We knew there would be a lot of Jimmer fans at the game, but as soon as he was announced as a starter, the arena erupted.  Over half of the fans were there for Jimmer and therefore the Kings.  There was both booing (Jazz and UofU fans) and cheering (BYU fans) each time he touched the ball and craziness when he made or missed.  The Jazz won thanks to Jimmer missing a game winning 3-pointer.  He is a great player and I'm happy he is doing well in the NBA, it was just really weird to witness "Jimmer-mania".  Crazy to think he almost ended up in Salt Lake City rather than Sacramento during the draft.
Jimmer holding his own on the post
Jazz Bear - prepping to sled down our aisle
My parents loaded up Sunday morning and just like that, Sundance Volunteers are Living in My Basement (future film title?) was a wrap.  I'm glad they had a safe drive and were able to celebrate their 41st Wedding Anniversary at home today.  We spent the day skiing and eating at Deer Valley, thanks to xmas gift cards from Terry's parents.
Deer Valley Overlook
On the way home, I talked Terry into trying one last movie.  I hadn't been turned away yet, so why not.  We walked in with 33 minutes to go and they had stopped handing out waitlist #s at 175, so we stood in the back and then at the 30 minute cut-off, we got in at the back of the line.  That is when chaos ensued and the waitlist got ugly.  As people came in late, the volunteers had disappeared so it was up to us at the end of the line to enforce the rules.  People were cranky and disrespectful, and for the next 30 minutes there was confusion, people pushing and crawling under the ropes, and whining.  It was obviously the last day and everyone's patience had run out.  I kept Terry calm, since he is a stickler for proper line etiquette, and after they let in 10 or so that was it, the theater was full.  I imagine most of the 200 people in line went to the next theater to try their luck, but for us, Sundance was over.  It was an amazing two weeks and I'm grateful for the time with my parents and all the experiences.  Until next year, that's a wrap!

Comments