Life is Like a Mailbox

There were several occasions during my SE Asia trip when I yearned for the opportunity to go for a long walk outside where I could feel safe, breath fresh air, and see nature rather than a concrete jungle.  It wasn't the desire to get away from my roommates/colleagues or for an alternative workout to the gym, but there was something else pulling at me to go out.  There was some guilt that I wasn't doing as much as I could to “experience” the culture, but mostly it was a primal need to just walk.  Unfortunately that wasn't possible and the few walks I did take were stressful.  I hadn't thought about walking and how it affects me until my first couple walks from the house once I returned.
Before: #11 Tripod
Today: Adding Stability to His Life
Thinking back to all the places I’ve lived and traveled, there are only a few that I’ve had to be extra cautious but none where I preferred to stay inside than go out.  I would never classify myself as a walker, but once it was taken away from me and upon reflection, I am now labeling myself a spiritual walker.  The combination of the exercise and being surrounded by nature is what soothes me and gives my mind both a break and stimulation.  I think, plan, daydream, and finish with a clear head & high spirits.  The same goes when I walk with others, but with the added benefit of catching up, listening and bouncing ideas off each other. 
Before: #12 Southwest
Today: House Sold, Mailbox Gone, Joining Family in their  New Life

In recollection, my spiritual walking habits started around junior high but it was likely much earlier since my parents were active hikers when we were young.  I remember leaving homework, teenage issues, and my bothersome brother at the house and joining my Mom for long hikes in the forest behind our house.  In college, I would occasionally walk from my apartment to class or the gym and cherish the quiet time compared to the craziness of my schedule.  I've worked in several offices and whenever possible snuck in  a lunchtime walk to clear my head. Now that I've been working at home, I try to get at least 2 walks a week around the neighborhood.
Before: #14 Waiting for Hardware?
Today: Moving Up in Life with Great Support

My neighborhood walks led to the original Mailbox Monday blog and weekly Mailbox Monday page.  I was in need of fresh material, so I had my camera in hand as I headed out last week.  You would think mailboxes are pretty stable, but not in our neighborhood.  After a month away, there were a significant number of mailbox changes which caused me to reflect on the possible changes in those households and others over the last few weeks.  We had also watched Forrest Gump over Thanksgiving and Life is Like a Box of Chocolates transformed into Life is Like a Box of Mail (ie Mailbox) – You Never Know What You’re Gonna Get.  

Before: #7 Stone Tower
Today: Materials Reallocated? Back to Regular Life
(just doing what you can to hold things down)
I’m sure I’m reading too much into each Mailbox but my mind goes there during my walks and I let it happen because it's as relaxing and fun as a good dream that you don't want to end.  Taking photos of the mailboxes has also added a level of intrigue to my walks since I don’t like to be too obvious.  I’m sure I’ve been seen from front windows and might be known as the crazy-mailbox-picture-taking walker but I’m good with that and there’s nothing better than getting the giggles on your walk thinking about getting caught and having to explain the mailbox photo.
Before: #9 Rusty Old-Timer
Today: Replaced by Younger Plastic Version
Here's Hoping Retirement Life is Grand
Thanks for reading and don't forget to keep an eye on the Mailbox Monday page so you can virtually take walks with me.


Comments