Happy to be Home even with Jet Lag and Sinus Infection

It feels so good to be home.  In fact, I've only left the house a few times since returning Friday afternoon.  This is mainly due to the jet lag and sinus infection I brought home with me, but also because there isn't anywhere else I'd rather be right now.  Cuddled under the t-shirt quilt with a cup of tea staring at our log walls is extremely relaxing.  Especially knowing that in less than 48hrs, we are back on the road for Thanksgiving.

The trip home was long, but uneventful.  We arrived in Taipei on time and I had plenty of time to go for a walk, send out the blogs I wrote on the flight, and then change into my compression tights for the 11hrs to LAX.  I had a great seat and after a few hours sleep, watched 3 movies and did some reading.
Legroom on 5hr flight!
Legroom on 11hr flight!

We had flown thru LAX International last year and it was miserable so I reminded myself that no matter what happened it couldn't be that bad.  It took just as long to clear customs and baggage claim, but at least this time there wasn't an argument with TSA over the bicycles.  I told myself last time I would do anything to avoid an International flight via LAX and I told myself again on Thursday evening, so hopefully the 3rd time is either a charm or never happens.
LAX International Baggage Claim Lines

I wheeled my luggage out to the hotel shuttle pickup and that's when things got a little more exciting.  Two young drunk men were driving around the airport, so the police had shut down the lane in order to empty their car of bottles and put them in hand-cuffs.  It all happened right in front of the shuttle pickup so none of the shuttles could get in or else they wouldn't be able to drive off.  The wait was a good 30 minutes, but at least there was some good entertainment to keep us occupied.

After sleeping a couple hours at the hotel, I woke up wide awake at 3a.  I tried reading, but ended up watching several episodes of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air until the gym opened.  After a good workout and breakfast, I headed back to the airport for my flight to SLC.  I was quickly reminded of America's obesity epidemic at the gate, where I was surrounded by heavy adults and children.  Three weeks in SE Asia where I saw 1 in 50 people that could lose some weight to a terminal where only 1 in 5 were not overweight.  I was also reminded of Thanksgiving since many of the fliers were starting their vacations and the airport was busy.  Hopefully many of them will run the Turkey Trot before eating.

Trip Goodies
It was comforting to fly over the mountains and land in SLC and I was extremely happy to see Terry!  He has been so busy at work that he only took 1 day off the entire time I was gone and had to take me home and go back for a few more hours.  He had to work on Saturday also, but was able to take yesterday off.  He did have time to grow a beard while I was gone, which was fun to see since he has been clean shaven for 10yrs.

I've been home for a little over 3 days and haven't been too productive.  I went to the doctor today and got an antibiotic for the sinus infection.  I almost had it licked, but spent too many hours on the plane.  I had trouble sleeping Friday and Saturday nights and also felt the jet lag during the day as I unpacked, did laundry, shoveled, and worked all in zombie mode.  Today I feel caught up thanks to a sleep fest on Sunday afternoon (1-5p) and evening (7p-5a).  Now that the antibiotic is kicking in, I should be in good shape for Turkey Day... or in my case No-Turkey Day.
Sinus Supplies

Comments