4 Flights in 4 Days

I finally had a decent night sleep last night and a normal day that included a morning workout.  I feel like I'm finally in Malaysia and am productive rather than rummy.  I haven't been great at taking photos, so will make a better effort and hope to post more frequent blogs.  The last 4 days of travel have felt like 1 and I'm thankful there were no delays.

I arrived in LAX from SLC and expected a hard time with the international transfer, due to the nightmare we experienced last January on our return from Italy.  It's a long story that involves TSA slamming our bikes around and awful bus transfers.  This time, I didn't have any TSA issues and avoided the bus system by walking down to the International terminal.  I got in line and was amazed at the number of boxes that people were bringing on my flight to Taipei.  Everyone had at least 1 cardboard box along with their suitcase.  Some were in original packaging (vacuums, appliances, and electronics) while others were taped and labeled for various Asian countries.  I stood out in line both in skin color and height, but I think it helped as I walked away with an aisle exit row instead of my middle seat for a 13hr flight.  So far, so good!

Taipei Airport - Internet access everywhere & on all devices
The flight from LAX to Taipei (TPE) was uneventful.  I slept about 5hrs and then watched 3 movies.  I got up often to do leg exercises and wore my compression tights the entire time.  I ordered Vegan meals and they were outstanding, plus I got served before everyone else.  We left LAX at 1am Sunday landed in TPE at 6am Monday.  The airport was incredibly clean and modern with high-scale shopping.  I put my contacts back in and took the compression tights off and walked the terminals until my flight to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) boarded.
Taipei Airport - Themed Gates
After a full flight overseas, the next leg was on the same size plane (Boeing 777-300ER) but only 25% full.  I had an entire row to myself and after another good meal, slept a couple more hours.  Arrival at KUL was relatively easy once you navigate thru the boutique shopping.  Like TPE, the 2 languages on all the signs were English and Chinese and everyone speaks English.  I was met by a co-worker and we took the train and taxi back to her condo, arriving at 4p Monday.

Kuala Lumpur Condo View of Petronas Towers
Within 30 minutes, the rain started (it's monsoon season) and I took some time to get settled before a dinner meeting.  Upon returning to the condo, I unpacked and repacked since the taxi was due at 4am to take us to a different airport for a flight to Labuan (still Malaysia, but different island) for a 3day conference.

So, 4hrs of sleep later and remarkably awake (still on SLC time) we headed to the LCCT airport.  This airport covers local and low cost flights.  The baggage check-in process was a little strange, but efficient.  We landed and checked into the hotel at 10am and did some work before walking into town for lunch.  My body finally gave up and I grabbed a 2hr nap before dinner and then got a solid 8hrs last night and woke up refreshed and happy to have a day that didn't involve air travel!  
Labuan Hotel View

Labuan Port

Comments