June-Oct Goal Review

Time flies when you are having fun! It also flies when you are working extremely long hours and weekends. I stayed on track with goal reviews the 1st 5 months of the year, but the last 5 months got away from me.  Now that Summer and Fall are over and I gained an hour today with the end of daylight savings, it felt appropriate to check in before time runs out on my 2014 goals.

June-Oct Summary
A1:  I didn't make a book a week, but I've also added almost an hour a day of Italian lessons to my plate. I would recommend any of these 12.
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer, Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut, Stay Close and Six Years by Harlan Coben, Treacherous Paradise by Henning Mankell, Back When We Were Grownups by Anne Tyler, Police and Nemesis by Jo Nesbo, Purgatory Ridge by William Kent Krueger, Goldfinch by Donna Tartt, Step on a Crack by James Patterson

A2: I went on a blog break over the summer, so only 10 in 5 months. I did keep up with Mailbox Monday capturing shots on my long training rides. In September, I got back on track with posts.

A3: It seems that travel has dominated the last 5 months, but 3 trips were cycling related. Unfortunately I only escaped work in Italy, otherwise I was working early/late on "vacation".
- June = Tulsa (9 days), Cincinnati (5 days), Italy (5 days)
- July = Italy (7 days), LA (4 days), San Francisco (4 days)
- Aug = Cedar City (4 days), Toronto (5 days)
- Sept = San Francisco (4 days)
- Oct = LA (2 days), Toronto (5 days)

A4: Due to all the travel and catered food at work, I'm cooking less but I'm still on the hunt for a reliable weekly service.

Long Term: After our return from Italy, I found a local instructor and am taking private Italian lessons. The goal is to be prepared for a move to Italy at retirement, or sooner if the opportunity arises.

B1: Massages with Nelson are as consistent as my time on the bike. I look forward to each torture/healing session and between cycling and work stress, I don't make it easy on him.

B2: My work projects are for clients in eastern time zones which has left little time in the morning for yoga/stretching. I'm determined to set aside time the next 2 months to align my muscles and mind.

B3:  No change in my passion for women's cycling. This summer included Tulsa Tough, Half the Road screening, Tour of Utah Women's Races, and my own attempt at the Ultimate Challenge to understand what Ride 4 Equality would actually entail. Tweets @girojenny are best place to see all the good things going on with Women's Cycling.

B4: Major fail on this goal. I haven't seen my nephews in years and with all the travel, Terry and I have spent most weekends catching up with each other. We were fortunate to have a few friends and family visit over the Summer and Fall.

Long Term: I'm actually going backward with my "lists". Each massage session, I'm reminded of my bad habit as Nelson tries to relax my neck and shoulders. I'm making some adjustments at work, so maybe my lists will start improving.

C1-C5: Thanks to Corey and our cycling training program, the last 5 months have been great for physical conditioning! We were in good shape for our Italy trip and then I was able to regroup and survive The Ultimate Challenge.
Finishing The Ultimate Challenge!
1. Core strength is now the focus as we head into ski season. Similar to yoga, I need to make it a priority.
2. I did my 1st trail run last Sunday. It was enjoyable, but nowhere near 13 miles. I plan on doing more winter running/snowshoeing as cross-training.
3. Terry and I did lots of MTBing in September and October. Nothing epic, but fun all the same!
4. It snowed today, so maybe there will be a chance to still skate ski in 2014.
5. I raced in Italy and it was amazing!
Our last ride in the Dolomiti

D1: No updates on the lot. We'll try again in the Spring.

D2: I've been carrying the gift cards in my purse, I wish I could convert them to cash and be done with it. I also wonder if it is acceptable to re-gift gift cards?

E1: There is a large pile ready to take to the donation center before the end of the year. We haven't made any large purchases, but did buy the necessary bike gear throughout the season.

E2: Italy was fantastic! Even though our luggage and bikes didn't arrive for 4 days, we worked through it and had the best time with Amanda and her friends in Treviso and the Dolomites!

E3: We have definitely made progress on the basement remodel in the last 5 months but it isn't complete. It is functional and we are moved in, but believe it or not, I'm still waiting for my hooks!

January Goal Review
February Goal Review
March Goal Review
April Goal Review
May Goal Review
~
Nov-Dec Goal Review

Comments