Tour of Utah: Stage 2 Ogden

I'm coming down from an incredible high. The last 4 days at the Tour of Utah, plus the week before of blogging and anticipation are catching up. I can't believe it's over. I want to be thinking about Stage 3 rather than my real job and two days of missed emails. Ok, truth be told, I'm thinking about how I'll get to Colorado to support the USA Pro Challenge Women's Stage Race and will deal with work in the morning.

Just like yesterday, please go to the experts for Stage 2 and Overall Omnium replays, results, pictures, and more.

Full race report by Steven Sheffield at Cycling Utah
Full race report by Jen See at Bicycling
Full results here and also on livelynxresults.com
Tour Tracker Stage Replay - women's race coverage starts right away at 6 minutes
Tour of Utah Galleries on Facebook
Twitter #TOUWE 

Instead of tweeting from the stage today, I grabbed a mic and announced with the master Dave Towle. Just as the women's race was finishing, Dave's partner in crime, Brad Sohner, showed up and the three of us announced the final laps. When it got down to the last lap or two, I stepped aside and let them do what they do best. It was truly an honor to be a part of the Tour of Utah Women's Edition this year and to step out of my comfort zone today to try my hand at announcing. I have no ulterior motive, I just want to advance women's cycling. Today's logistics called for a 3rd announcer and I was happy (and a little nervous) to help out. Dave and Brad are genuinely good guys and I appreciate them taking the time to get me up to speed. Maybe we can do it again at a future women's race.

Before my announcing duties, I made sure Alex had want he needed. We got the women settled in parking, worked with Dave on call-ups, and checked in on the officials and timing crew. I got out a couple tweets, but with 90min to go before the start, it was time to start the show with sign-in and rider interviews. That immediately transitioned to the race start and for the next 75min, we tried to balance entertaining & educating the crowd on women's cycling along with keeping the racers updated on points prime laps and status. The time flew by and the race ended in a sprint with UHC taking the stage win and omnium. They defended the Tour of Utah Women's Edition, just as we thought. Last year, it was Coryn Rivera and this year, Hannah Barnes.

After I turned off the mic, I immediately went back to helping Alex with podium, official requests, and more tweeting. The men were on their way into Ogden so there wasn't much down time before we were back on it to help the women with awards and press conference. It was great to work with Alex and learn more about all the moving pieces required to pull off a race. He (and wife/racer/photographer/etc Cathy) are amazing and the Utah cycling community is lucky to have them.

Next up on the schedule was the Women's Cycling Celebration party at Reynolds Cycling. They sponsor Team Tibco-SVB and it was great to see Paul and Linda at the race in Ogden and then in SLC hosting a party. The DNA Cycling pb K4 team was also there along with a few other racers. It was nice to wind down and celebrate the successful Tour of Utah Women's Edition. Next year will be here before we know it!

3hrs to Stage 2 start - Ogden Start/Finish final touches
2.5hrs to start - Women's Teams arrive
1.5hrs to start - learning from the experts - Dave and Kelly
10min to start - Call-ups
Announcing with Brad Sohner (left) and Dave Towle (right)
Winning Bikes
Winners
Hannah Barnes (Omnium), Coryn Rivera (Stage 2) get congrats from Allie Dragoo (Stage 1)
Stage 2 Podium - Coryn Rivera, Hannah Barnes, Sam Schneider
TOUWE Omnium - Hannah Barnes, Coryn Rivera, Sam Schneider
UHC Pro Cycling Blue Train (aka hit squad) watching their teammates on the podium
Women racers surrounding & thanking TOUWE Race Director Alex Kim
Women go 1st at Press Conference

Comments