30 Days of Biking - Mission Accomplished

If you missed my 1st 30 Days of Biking blog, please check it out before reading on, I'll wait for you.

Ok, I'm glad you are back so I can show-and-tell you about the last 15 days of April.  The weather was not looking any better moving into the 3rd week, but I was feeling fantastic and strong.  I was over the hump  and had a mental advantage knowing I had already conquered some horrible conditions.  I was ready for whatever April wanted to throw at me.  Luckily it kept improving to the point that I wore a jersey and shorts for a couple mountain bike rides on the final weekend.

I continued to tweet at least 1 picture a day for #30daysofbiking as part of my pledge to get the word out and share my adventures.  I've also come up with a few unique statistics for my 30 Days of Biking.
Day 16 : Started the 2nd half like the 1st half in cycling class
Day 17 : One of the coldest days on the mountain bike as I checked out a new section of bike paths in snowstorm.
Utah Olympic Park ski jumps getting a fresh dusting in the background.
Day 18 : Back to cycling class. Glad not to wear Cycling Ninja outfit from Day 17.
Day 19 : Another cold Friday Night Mountain Bike - Round Valley and Union Pacific Rail Trail
Day 19 : Got back to car and learned that Boston manhunt was over.
If  only everyone could obey the 10 Seconds of Kindness.
Day 20 : More snow and wet roads.  Delayed my ride until I saw blue sky, put on the layers that got me thru April.
Day 20 : Fat Bike ride up to the top of the neighborhood.
Not the most efficient climber but fun in the snow!
Day 21 : Terry and I finally got out for a long Sunday ride - Kamas Browns Loop
Warm enough to unzip the inferno jacket on the climb!
Day 22 : Ranch Road with views of Canyons - I got cocky and only wore knee warmers and froze!
Day 23 : Cycling class, the hours in the saddle are adding up.
Day 24 : The single track is finally dry! Glenwild out-and-back with ski areas in background.
Day 25 : Class is ramping up with several minutes in Power 5. Found inspiration in Max Testa Training wall of fame.
Day 26 : Friday Night Mountain Bike with Terry - Round Valley
Followed by celebration dinner for Christian's last day of radiation!
Day 27 : Back to Round Valley for more single track fun with Corrie. Found a bone to chew on.
Day 28 : Kelly and I mountain biked (and hiked thru some mud and snow) - Lost Prospector
We also had a close encounter with a moose!
Day 29 : Solo mountain bike after work and before groceries - Fink Again
Day 30 : Finished it like I started, dripping sweat and surrounded by my winter cycling buddies!
Wore the hat the entire 90 minutes and got plenty of razzing from my supportive classmates.
Even though I was exhausted from class and the last 30 days, I was so stoked to have achieved the goal and ready to celebrate.  I headed to Whole Foods for supplies and went home to get the Park City 30 Days of Biking party started.  Granted it only lasted thru dinner before I needed to shower and crash, but believe me, it was the place to be for about 30 minutes!
Beer, tofu sushi, vegan cupcake, and party hat!
It helped to have friends keeping track and providing encouragement.  I had several people tell me I was an inspiration and once again realized that 30 Days of Biking was about more than me keeping in shape thru April.  I got to know several new avatars on Twitter and enjoyed supporting each other, we are a tough and determined group.  I will resurrect these blogs next March and hopefully convince a few friends, family, and strangers to join me in the 2014 edition.  If not I'll stick Melissa (@melissagerman) on them since she is the one that got me hooked and I'm very thankful.

For me, 30 Days of Biking wasn't about the mileage, hours, elevation, or strava records but as an engineer, I've got to throw in a few stats.  I've already started thinking about next April and ways to improve.  I hope you'll make the pledge with me.

The Numbers:
30 Days Biking - drove less than 10min from home to get to trailhead, class, or non-icy start
     *7 days no driving at all
19 Days Outside
16 Days spent riding with friends and/or husband
13 Days my pictures had a ski area in background (this was not planned but was a nice surprise)
11 Days Inside - Cycling Class (9), Weather (1), Jazz Game (1)
9 Days wearing Mavic Inferno jacket and Pearl Izumi winter tights plus 2 days in winter jackets
4 Products used almost daily to keep me strong, fueled, and clean. My Product Review Page
3 Bikes - Time Pro, Specialized EpicSalsa Mukluk
1 30 Days of Biking down, many more to go

Comments