Montana Tech Alumni Basketball Social

Our biggest Montana Tech Alumni social of the year was last Saturday.  We had a brunch meeting planned with college officials downtown and then the basketball games and dinner at Westminster.  I had almost 50 RSVPs and several visitors from the school that flew in early from Butte.  The basketball social is my favorite event and we've been doing it for years.  It is my way of giving back to my school and the athletes as well as getting alumni together for some reminiscing.  I knew snow in the forecast could deter even tough Montanans from attending, but hoped for an early storm and then clear roads by the evening.  

Terry had to work early and when he called saying that the storm had just rolled across the valley and it was a good one, I knew it was time to leave even though I had over an hour before our brunch meeting.  The drive was treacherous with rental cars and weekend drivers driving too fast on icy (yet slushy) roads with snow blowing sideways.  I made it downtown in 90 minutes (3x longer than usual) and was glad to see everyone had made it, this was hopefully a good sign for later.  The meeting was fantastic and if anyone wants to know about Montana Tech recruiting efforts in Utah, let me know.  Engineering degrees are in huge demand and Montana Tech produces engineers with the best of them.  
Montana Tech Officials and Utah Alumni Meeting
By the time brunch was finished and we had made all the pizza delivery arrangements for the evening, Terry had driven home from work and told me to stay put since I would end up spending most of my 4hr window on Parley's and may not even make it in the neighborhood.  I killed some time in the Sugar House area shops and then went to Westminster to set up.
Montana Tech Alumni Sign-In and Raffle Items
We reserved the Alumni House across the street from the gymnasium and it was perfect.  Even though the storm was still raging, over 30 alumni came and cheered on the Orediggers!  The women had a tough battle with the nationally ranked Griffins and lost, but still had playoff hopes (they lost on Tuesday).  We had run out of pizza, so I made a 2nd order between the games and had to go pick it up or else wait 2hrs for delivery.  Back out into the storm, but it was so worth it to see the women's team get excited for fresh Pie Pizza
Something for everyone thanks to Pie Pizza
3 23" Meats & 16" Vegan and Veggie
Montana Tech Alumni Association Utah Chapter listening to College Visitors
Women's Team refueling with Pie Pizza
The men knew this was the last game of the season and as we learned a few days later when he resigned, it was Coach Woliczko's last game as he leaves coaching and goes to the corporate world.  They also lost, but the Alumni were in good spirits and I'm sure the teams appreciated the support.  So now, Montana Tech is in need of an Athletic Director and Men's Basketball Coach, and I'll be keeping an eye on the candidates and final hires.  Our next Alumni Event is marching in the SLC St Patrick's Day Parade.  My 2nd favorite social and this year we are planning a few surprises - I'm so excited!
Great Montana Tech Alumni Turnout considering the Storm

Comments